Frequently Asked Questions
If you still have questions after reading through our FAQs please email us at [email protected] or call 570-333-4098.
Receive a Paid In Full discount when you register and pay your balance before May 1. (see registration page for specific pricing)
Camp Orchard Hill offers a tiered pricing structure that rewards you as you register!
OVERNIGHT CAMP INCENTIVES:
- Register and Pay in full by March 1 (see registration page for specific pricing)
- Register and Pay in full by May 1 (see registration page for specific pricing)
- Receive a multiple child incentive when you are registering more than one child in your immediate family. (see registration for specific pricing)
- Refer a Friend! Receive a $50 incentive for each new camper that you refer to overnight camp, up to the full price of your registration fee. (Camper must be new to Camp Orchard Hill and must write your name in the referral section of their registration. Not applicable for siblings.)
DAY CAMP INCENTIVES:
- Receive a Half-Summer Incentive Price when you register for 5-8 full weeks of Day Camp. (see registration page for specific pricing)
- Receive a Full-Summer Incentive Price when you register for 9 or 10 full weeks of Day Camp. (see registration page for specific pricing)
- Receive a multiple child incentive when you are registering more than one child in your immediate family. (see registration page for specific pricing)
- Refer a Friend! Receive a $25 referral incentive for each new camper that you refer to Day Camp, up to the full price of your registration fee. (Camper must be new to Camp Orchard Hill and must write your name in the referral section of their registration. Not applicable for siblings.)
At COH every meal is a party…but we take our food seriously! Our campers consistently rank meals in their TOP 3 favorite aspects of the camp experience.
Food Services Director, Lisa Stull, has over 15 years of food service experience and is Serv-Safe certified. She has attended several food allergy seminars and is ready and willing to meet the needs of campers with special dietary issues. Lisa takes great pride in consistently providing wholesome, nutritious food that tastes great.
Meals are prepared on-site and are served buffet style. Campers will experience our tried and true guest favorites like PRETZEL SANDWICHES, and will be surprised with creative new additions on a regular basis. Our menu changes daily and is designed to appeal to the specific age group of the campers. Fresh fruit and vegetables are served daily and a non-meat option is available at each meal. We offer several different kinds of cereal and milk in the morning, along with a hot breakfast. We offer 100% fruit juice each morning and then switch over to a juice concentrate for lunch and dinner. Peanut butter and jelly are a staple at every COH meal, but can be removed when a serious allergy warrants it. We use no peanut based cooking products.
Ample portions, wholesome, great tasting meals and lots of fun are what sets the Camp Orchard Hill dining experience apart from other camps. And Lisa isn’t just our Food Services Director. She’s also a mother of four, so every meal prepared is Mom-approved!
Camp Orchard Hill has carefully cultivated an atmosphere of relational, emotional, physical and spiritual safety. Our staff team will model healthy, caring relationships and then expect the same from campers in the group setting. Our programs are specifically designed to develop and promote teamwork and inclusion. Bullying behavior is contrary to our vision and mission and will not be tolerated.
If a camper bullies another camper, they will meet with leadership for an explanation of the offending behavior and the harmful effects that result. If the behavior continues, the camper will be sent home.
Bullying is aggressive behavior by a child or a group of children who take advantage of the power they have to hurt or intimidate others. Bullying can take many forms:
- Verbal abuse including taunting, gossiping, mocking, name calling
- Physical abuse including hitting, pushing, shoving, kicking
- Organized social rejection including exclusion from activities or groups
- Public humiliation
- Threatening racist, religious or sexist remarks
- Frightening acts
Part of the power of camp is the freedom to unplug from the constant noise and distraction of technology, and plug-in to the beauty and wonder of God’s creation. For this reason, campers are not permitted to bring their cell phones to camp. However, parents are encouraged to send letters or use e-camp one-way emails and camper reply services. Photos of camp activities are also posted on our camp website regularly to help you share in the camp experience. Check out opportunities to communicate with your camper while they are at camp!
A $100 non-refundable deposit is required for each resident week at the time of registration. All extra fee applications (Snackshop, and Add-on Electives) are refundable unless a camper attends camp and chooses not to participate in the add-on elective.
Cancellation and No-Show Policy
- $100 deposit will be charged for cancellations up to 4 weeks before camp.
- 50% of your camp fee will be charged for cancellations between 2 and 4 weeks before camp.
- 75% of your camp fee will be charged for cancellations between 1 and 2 weeks before camp.
- 100% of the camp fee will be charged for cancellations one week or less before camp and no-shows.
- Medical refunds require a doctor’s note.
A $50 non-refundable deposit is required for each day camp week at the time of registration. All extra fee applications (Transportation, Before/Aftercare and Snackshop) are refundable.
Transfer, Cancellation and Late Registration Policy
- Missed days of camp are not refunded or transferred.
- $20 fee will be charged to transfer weeks.
- $50 deposit will be charged for each week cancelled up to Wednesday before camp begins.
- Full registration fee will be charged when camp is cancelled after the Wednesday before camp begins.
Registration closes at noon on the Thursday before each camp week. If we are able to accommodate a late registration, a $25 fee will be added.
Attending camp with a friend is a awesome experience! Indicate your cabin-mate preference on your registration form and we will make every attempt to honor your request. Cabin-mates must be within one year’s age of each other and requests must be written.
The camp experience is designed to build confidence and a healthy sense of independence in each camper. While it is rare, we do encounter campers who experience homesickness and we will give individual attention to each situation. On the first day, our counselors will work to keep the camper on-task and focused on the very next thing – instead of the whole week. On the second day or night, the Executive Director or Program Director will call a camper’s parents to ask for suggestions or routines that may alleviate homesickness. We will do our best to implement these suggestions (i.e. night light, bedtime story) to create a comfortable environment. If homesickness continues after the second day we will again contact parents to determine if it is in the camper’s best interest to remain at camp. In our experience, campers calling home does not improve the situation, but almost always concludes with the camper going home. Our desire is to help every camper have a safe and successful week of camp!
Ratio requirements vary based on the age of campers and the camp setting.
- For Overnight Camp, the ratio is 1 counselor to every 7 campers.
- For Day Camp ages 4-5, the ratio is 1 counselor to every 6 campers.
- For Day Camp ages 6-9, the ratio is 1 counselor to every 8 campers.
- For Day Camp ages 10-15, the ratio is 1 counselor to every 10 campers.
We hire every seasonal staff member as if they were caring for our own children and provide intense training to prepare them for service. All Day and Overnight Staff undergo a rigorous screening process including an application with references, an interview, plus state and national criminal background checks. Each team member completes a 10-day training and orientation program that encompasses all aspects of camp life and covers the ACA requirements for staff readiness.
At Camp Orchard Hill we plan every activity with your child’s safety in mind. In the unlikely event that he or she requires medical attention while at camp, COH is prepared with a registered nurse on duty 24/7, certified lifeguards, and staff certified in CPR and First Aid.
If you child has an accident or illness we will use the primary contact information that you have provided on their health form, as well as alternate contacts if you cannot be reached. This process is initiated by the Director and/or the lead health-care provider, but can be delegated to an appropriate staff member. Since we have no way of determining what each person considers an emergency, the general camp practice is to contact parents when there is concern about a camper’s health and/or when a situation is not progressing as expected. Because many people remotely access their voice mail, it is expected that camp personnel will leave a voice message that appropriately communicates the need for a given parent to call the camp.
If it is necessary to seek medical attention, every attempt will be made to contact parents prior to treatment and again at the conclusion of treatment to provide an update on the camper’s health.
As an accredited member of the American Camping Association, you can be assured that we comply with up to 300 health, safety and program quality standards. Being accredited by the ACA is solid proof of our accountability, credibility and commitment to you, the parents, and your campers.
Will you help us bring kids to camp this summer? Your sponsorship will make a powerful impact on the life of a camper who would not otherwise be able to attend Camp Orchard Hill! Learn more here.
Tell your friend (must be first-time COH camper) about Summer Camp. If they sign up and write your name on the “Friend Who Referred Me” line on their registration form – you’ll get $25 off your registration fee for Day Camp or $50 off your registration fee for Overnight Camp – up to the full price of your registration! Not valid for siblings.