2020 Summer Announcement
Best Week Ever Day Camp at Camp Orchard Hill will be able to reopen for Summer 2020 on June 29th with an emphasis on camper safety and outdoor adventure!
Our Health and Safety Plan will be posted to our website next week and will include daily health screening, increased cleaning and sanitation, limited group sizes and careful communication according to CDC and PA Department of Health guidelines. The health and safety of our campers and staff will remain our highest priority.
You can expect a modified program full of friendship, fun and the excellent service you expect at Best Week Ever Day Camp!
➡ Our pool and Lake Manjo will be open!
➡ The Apple Tree snack shop will be open!
➡ Chef Steve will be delivering fresh & healthy lunches directly to camper groups.
➡ A wide variety of activity choices will be available daily!
➡ Enjoy onsite speakers & presentations from the local area!
➡ Transportation and extended day services will be available!
Dear Camp Orchard Hill Community:
We miss you!
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we’ve been forced into a “new normal” and honestly it has been difficult. A big part of that is missing all of you.
Our team has had to cancel our Father and Son retreat, Family Camp, retreat groups, school field trips, birthday parties and banquets. However, we rest in the fact that God is in control even when the world around us seems out of control!
Throughout this process our focus has been and continues to be on the health and safety of our campers and staff. The Orchard Hill team has continually monitored the guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, PA Department of Health and PA Governor’s Wolf’s administration.
Based on the most recent CDC guidelines for shared housing and an approach that currently emphasizes attendance by local youth only to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the board and staff have made the difficult decision to cancel our overnight camp programs. These include our Best Week Ever camps, leadership training and COH-Mission weeks for summer 2020. It was not an easy decision to make but we believe it is the best decision given the facts and information we have at this time.
However, based on the current guidelines, we do believe there is a path forward for a modified day camp program to provide much needed child care services for our local families. Our staff will implement the CDC and PA Department of Health guidelines including social distancing measures, daily health screenings, and increased cleaning and sanitation. Additional Day Camp reopening expectations can be found below.
Currently, Luzerne County is under the red phase guidelines to shelter in place until June 4th. Although there is not a definitive time table for moving to the green phase which will enable us to reopen, our team anticipates a delayed start to the day camp program. We have targeted June 29 as our starting date for Day Camp. As additional guidance is provided by the PA DOH, we will provide concrete details and starting dates to you, our parents and camp families.
The Orchard Hill team looks forward to the day when we can meet again in person. Until then, we are determined to meet your needs in new and creative ways through social media and beyond.
Your prayers, financial support and encouragement have meant a great deal to us over the last two months. I want you to know that our staff team and our board of directors are praying for the health and safety of our camp family. God bless you!
What Happens With My Registration?
Overnight Camp Registration Options
You will have several options for your Overnight Camp or LIT registration:
- Rollover: You can rollover your registration and your payments to the corresponding weeks for Summer 2021. We will work with you to adjust your dates and specific selections for 2021.
- Full Refund: You can cancel your registration and request a full refund of your camp payments. We will refund payments to the original form of payment. Please note: due to the volume of refunds that credit card companies are processing, refunds may take between 30-60 days.
- Donation: You can make all or a portion of your payments as a tax-deductible donation to carry Camp Orchard Hill through this season.
Day Camp Reopening Expectations
We believe there will be a path forward for Day Camp Orchard Hill to serve the childcare needs of our local families in the Green Phase of PA State reopening guidelines. We are targeting June 29 as our starting date for Day Camp. However, our exact starting date will be announced as the time frame is defined by Governor Wolf.
Your child’s health is our number one concern! Detailed policies for Summer 2020 are being finalized and will be provided for parents. The policies will reflect guidance provided by the CDC, ACA (American Camping Association) and future guidelines communicated by the PA Department of Health. To begin, you can reference this decision tree provided by the CDC for the reopening of Summer Camps. (PDF download) Day Camp families can expect the following safety measures:
- Daily health screening
- Required hand washing and use of hand sanitizer
- Social distancing measures including smaller group sizes, limited interaction between groups and limited use of shared equipment
- Increased cleaning and sanitation of equipment and common areas
- A clear plan for the communication of sickness
- Unfortunately off-site field trips and Rise Adventure trips have been cancelled. If you paid for a trip previously, it has already been credited back to your account.
- Chef Steve will continue to provide a varied meal selection including fresh and hot meals delivered to campers in a small group setting.
- We DO anticipate being able to provide convenience options like before care, after care and bus transportation. Please book early as space may be more limited than normal.
Registration and Finances
- Camp Orchard Hill anticipates opening when Luzerne County reaches the Green Phase of PA reopening guidelines. We will provide the specific date of our opening as we receive a timeline from Governor Wolf.
- We continue to guarantee refunds for any camp weeks that are cancelled due to COVID-19
- To further assist our camp families during this time of uncertainty, we have temporarily suspended the $50 weekly deposit from our registration requirements. We encourage you to select your intended weeks of camp without any financial commitment. Your full payment will be due the week before your session of camp. Book early to ensure space!
As you know, this will be an incredibly difficult financial season for Camp Orchard Hill to weather. We will proceed with great care to ensure our financial strength for the future and we trust that God will provide for ongoing ministry. Click here to set up a one-time donation or a recurring monthly donation.